A Brand New Day Indeed: A review for SM: BND
⚠⚠⚠ Not a standard review. Contains personal memories that emphasizes why Spider Man matters. Light spoilers such as the appearance of certain characters in names only---minor spoiler but if you want a fresh theatrical experience without even knowing the cast, I'd suggest you don't read.
Hey (*spider man waving his hand*)
My mom loves Spider Man. Tobey's her favorite for obvious reasons. I did have one of those suits when I was four years old. I hated Spider Man but that only lasted till the day I found out that he wasn't actually bald:)
I was ten when I entered MCU. Reason? I don't know---maybe---it was---Spider Man. I was dilly dallying about my day and my brother was watching Avengers Endgame. And out of nowhere he says,
"Tom Holland's gonna come. Just move away from the screen"
---"Who?"
"Spider Man"
---"Oh"
I turn around. Doctor Strange opens the portal. A very metallic spider man. I frowned. I loved Tobey Maguire and the fact that he was replaced was unacceptable to me. But then Tom's face appears from behind those nanoparticles and then I just fell into the couch. I was in awe and I remember asking my brother "That's him?"
I'd no idea about Andrew Garfield's existence at that moment by the way.
After that day I was locked in. I was a very proud little Marvel fan. Marvel made the bad times bearable, taught me to believe and dream when I doubted all of it, induced curiosity and created a sense of fan culture in me. My English, interest in learning, understanding how relationships work---all came from it.
When Spider Man No Way Home came out, we cried to earn the tickets. It became my comfort movie. And I'd never skip it for anything in the world. I have no count of the times I've watched it.
2021. I was 11. I went in with my cousins. We were really excited. It was the first time I'd ever screamed in the cinemas probably. I remember the feeling. Nothing has ever felt like it after that.
After No Way Home---life changed too much for me. I couldn't watch the series and some of the movies that were coming out. I couldn't figure out the world I was living on. There was never going to be a Spider Man. But like that candle light in the dark---Peter Parker was there. I was him. He was real. He's everywhere. Spider Man is someone that you dream about. Peter Parker is someone that you wake up to. Whatever Stan Lee meant with him only started making sense as I finally got to the same age when Peter Parker got bit by a radioactive spider. I never got bit by a radioactive spider. There's no spider. There's only me.
You know, I always wonder what happens between all these movies. SM: BND felt like the in between. I loved it from deep inside.
I didn't exactly cry but my eyes did itch with tears at some parts of the movie. I loved the transformation that happened to Peter. The painting of depression was perfect. Ned and MJ---brilliantly written. Mark Ruffallo---I would say that was such a smart move with where they drew the line with his role. The banter between Peter and a certain someone was hilarious and on point. Sadie Sink? Amazing. Florence Pugh--- Oh I loved to see her and they did right with her. Melissa Tomei---that was necessary and it was done. DeWolff was exactly what I didn't know that I wanted to see.
Tom Holland? No words. Look at his first appearance in civil war and then this. Wow. Ten years of him. More than half of my life.
Destin Daniel Cretton and the whole teams are splendid. Some scenes were perfect and it had me thinking "Absolute Cinema". The fight sequences weren't exactly like those in Shang Chi but it was perfect for Peter and Spider Man. The internal fight was definitely 100% there and it was portrayed insanely perfectly. They have got some scenes so right---like some of those scenes which confuses you and then just makes sense however.
Character interactions---I loved.
Some might say that the cameos were too much or that they didn't show us some villains and fights but I think this was enough. This is Peter's story.
I loved the songs, the costumes, hairstyles and the way they just finally showed us Peter's NYC. There were people in this movie, you know? Peter was the friendly neighbourhood spiderman.
Just---
Just---
Brilliant movie!
It's just that something just felt off when it ended. Like the story just didn't sit in right. Did it deviate or did I deviate at some point? What was happening and did it already happen? Was that intentional? The moment I walked out of there---I was kind of confused and maybe even pissed somewhere a little. But bit by bit---it came back to me and I really just want to go back and re-watch it.
It's not a grand movie. Greatness doesn't always come from grand.
And that---they achieved.
8.9/10 from me.
Should you watch from the theater? Absolutely.
Should you watch it from the OTT platforms? You must re-watch of course:)
Will someone who doesn't love the superhero genre in particular love it? I've no idea. My little brother was just disappointed with the movie when we walked out of there and it only started making sense a while later to him. He had other expectations. It's not No Way Home. Spider Man is a culture, a vibe, an aesthetic---it's Spider Man! This is a classic Peter Parker story and it will have you thinking "Finally! Spider Man!" Especially fans of Tobey Maguire.
I grew up with all of them. A 2010 girl who loved Tobey's Spider Man just like her mom. I grew up. So much time has passed.
I watched this without watching Fantastic 4. I had homework, you know?
Life's changing. So is Spider Man. He's swinging right behind us. And today when I woke up, it was a Brand New Day indeed. I was still smiling because what do you mean my brothers drove up to my school and pulled me out of my class during a class test and we rushed off to watch this? It will always be one of the sweetest memories. Classic, right? From the middle of a class test to Earth 616 at the first day of release? Spider Man can do amazing things in one's life.
With an ILU in ASL or Spider Man web shooter gesture,
I will return with another post on August 5th Wednesday.
Rida, AKA SeñoRida, is a 2010-born girly. Her hobbies include reading, writing, and fan-girling. She is obsessed with fried chicken, purple, and books. She’s never a follower but a fan, and she believes that’s how it’s supposed to be. She’s an ordinary human who wants to do extraordinary things.Her debut novel, This Ends This Summer is a coming of age, swoon worthy, heart melting romance that you must not miss because the love she writes, is a holy trinity of respect, trust and hope and life is lived if we live for love!
Social media links; Instagram: @rida.senorida Blog: spotforyoubyme.blogspot.com





First of all i rly liked this movie.... But as you said only after the movie ended u jst didnt quite get the satisfaction as the other movies does..... I feel like we witnessed the other side of being a spiderman.... Like since childhood we all jst want to be spiderman swinging through the streets and catching bad guys....but there is also another empty side being a spiderman..... And it was brilliantly portrayed in this movie.... And yah its a must theatre experience movie.... All that swinging scenes and all they made it far better than before.....i dont want to add any spoilers in here jst in case....so ig thats it...
ReplyDelete